Simon Byrnand wrote:

Huh ? Of course Sendmail can refuse mail for non-existant user accounts. :)

This happens automatically for the "primary" domain name the server is configured with, but if you're doing multiple virtual domains using the virtusertable file then you need a wildcard entry per domain that looks like:

@domain.com error:nouser User unknown

Which makes sure all addresses at that domain that don't have explicit virtusertable entries are rejected, rather than trying to fall through to local accounts of the same name....

Another of those mailing lists where you learn a lot of unexpected things along the way. I'd never have dreamed I'd be pushed painlessly into learning the ins and outs of Sendmail by Simon and David.

Tony

--
Tony Earnshaw

Working to get a life