"Paul Coleman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
9bmmqn$n8v$[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:9bmmqn$n8v$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I think that is easy enough. During registration ask what domains you
own,
> this is easily verified.
how would you verify it? (looking for something quick, easy and automated
here...)
if we're only discussing domains that are _owned_ by the user rather than
just used, then i can see that would be slightly more practical... but most
users don't own domains...
spamcop has a way of marking domains innocent, but you'd need to send in a
report on the domain to be able to use it...
> Unless it is my domain, like in this case, I probably wouldn't know if a
> checked box should be un-checked or not. I assume that any checked box
can
> be safely sent. If this is not the case, I can not use this service as I
do
> not know how to make that distinction.
that is not the case...
> If I was that good at detecting who
> the report should go to, I would write the code myself and skip the fees.
you don't have to do extensive detective work or anything technical...
if the message mentions (for example) www.whitehouse.gov or
www.microsoft.com, it's up to you to work out whether the message really
came from the whitehouse or from microsoft... if it didn't, then you
shouldn't report those URLs, 'cause they're not owned by the spammer... that
much shouldn't be difficult to determine, and that's only the level at which
you're being asked to consider things...
i recently got a spam which mentioned www.geocities.com as well as something
like www.geocities.com/getpornnow/enter.html - it doesn't take a lot of
knowledge to work out that www.geocities.com is not controlled by the
spammer, but www.geocities.com/getpornnow/enter.html might well be...
email addresses can be harder to guess (and they're less likely to be real,
which is why they start off unchecked), but in general you can "follow the
money"... if a spammer provides an email address as the only means of
contacting them for more info or to purchase, then it's likely to be a real
address... if the address isn't essential to the purpose of the spam, then
you'd probably want to ignore it...
michael
_______________________________________________
SpamCop-Help mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://news.spamcop.net/mailman/listinfo/spamcop-help