Hi Mike

Alright, that made it much more clear :)

So for a given successfully identified MS2 spectrum, *i* is the sum of
intensities of all b and y ions that contributed to the identification.
Therefore one would need to have access to the MS2 intensities when
computing the SI, and not just the MS1, if I am correct.

In the Griffin paper <http://peak height of the MS/MS fragments are summed
for SIN, whereas for the AUC, the precursor ions are integrated.
Overlapping peptides in the precursor/ MS scan increases the chance for
error with the integration process.>, it is mentioned

Using the fragment ion intensity, specifically only those intensities that
> match the peptide of interest, may facilitate more accurate measurements as
> there is less chance of including the signal of co-eluting precursors or
> background noise.

Peak height of the MS/MS fragments are summed for SIN, whereas for the AUC,
> the precursor ions are integrated. Overlapping peptides in the precursor/MS
> scan increases the chance for error with the integration process.

I guess these are some of the advantages of using the MS2 intensities over
MS1.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Thanks for your help!

Cheers