On Monday 11 October 2004 09:38, Meri Williams wrote:
> Hiya
>
> > you probably shouldn't be following that HOWTO: the debian package
> > maintainer tells me that better instructions come with the package.
>
> OK -- any idea where I'd find them? I tried man speedtouch, etc, but
> couldn't find anything and I think I'm being stupid but can't work it
> out :-S

Look in /usr/share/doc/speedtouch/

You should only need to edit 2 files

/etc/default/speedtouch
#!/bin/sh -e

# add -k when using the kernel mode driver
MODEM_RUN_OPTIONS="-s"
# modem firmware
FIRMWARE_FILE="/usr/share/speedtouch/mgmt.o"
# a PPP peer to call
PPPD_PEER="speedtouch"

NET_IF=ppp0

modprobe -k n_hdlc
modprobe -k ppp_generic
modprobe -k ppp_synctty
modprobe -k ppp_deflate
modprobe -k bsd_comp
modprobe -k pppoatm

the comment above MODEM_RUN_OPTIONS is wrong -k is added automatically (-k is
for when you are using the kernel module)
i added all the modprobes just to be sure

/etc/ppp/peers/speedtouch

the ppp file must have the following at the end. the 0.38 is the VP.VC pair
which will be different for you

plugin /usr/lib/pppd/2.4.2/pppoatm.so
0.38

Regards