Folks, I noticed a small puddle of coolant collecting under the front of my Red Spit and upon investigation discovered that the water pump is leaking at the weep hole.
This is a small bearing 1296 engine that is now equipped with a Lucas Alternator. I have long suspected that the smaller pulley that was designed for use with the original generator is spinning the alternator slower than it wants and therefore not putting out the kind of charge that it normally would. So, while I am in the market for a new pump, I decided to order one designed for a later car with an alternator (larger pulley). After I install it, I am hoping that it will be better able to keep up with the power requirement of the car. It has Hella Halogen headlights, electronic fuel injection and computerized ignition as well as an electric fuel pump. So it is very important that the alternator operate at top effeciency. Last April, I did the British European Auto Tour and was encouraged to keep the headlights on for safety. I ended up running the battery down and the car doesn't run very well in that condition. I'll post another message with (I hope) positive results. Joe AZ 333 Your messages not reaching the list? Check out http://www.team.net/posting.html === This list supported in part by The Vintage Triumph Register === http://www.vtr.org === Help keep Team.Net on the air === http://www.team.net/donate.html === unsubscribe/change address requests to [EMAIL PROTECTED] or try === http://www.team.net/cgi-bin/majorcool === Other lists available at === http://www.team.net/mailman/listinfo === Archives at http://www.team.net/archive === http://www.team.net/the-local === Edit your replies!
