Jim, What you missed is my eating crow in later messages relating to the fact that I overlooked the water pump and alternator being slaved to the crankshaft. If the water pump was the driving factor, my theory would be correct but since it is not, the reverse is true.
Joe -----Original Message----- From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Wednesday, November 29, 2006 4:35 PM To: [email protected] Subject: Re: Spitfire Water pump Joe Curry said: > So, while I am in the market for a new pump, I decided to > order one designed for a later car with an alternator > (larger pulley). Ummmm, Joe, I'm not looking at my Spitfire right now but from memory and with the knowledge of just about every other car I've ever seen... The water pump and alternator are driven by the crankshaft pulley. So changing the water pump pulley size won't change the rate at which the alternator is driven, merely slow down the speed of the water pump (and require a larger belt). If you want the alternator turned faster you'll need to replace the crankshaft pulley with a larger one. Or are you suggesting that the belt was slipping over the alternator pulley because of the angles created by the water pump pulley? Or maybe I missed something. Or maybe you knew all this already and were planning to replace the crankshaft pulley. Or maybe you're just pulley-ing our collective legs. Or maybe this is a quiz. Did I win anything? -- Jim Muller ! Your messages not reaching the list? Check out http://www.team.net/posting.html === This list supported in part by The Vintage Triumph Register === http://www.vtr.org === Help keep Team.Net on the air === http://www.team.net/donate.html === unsubscribe/change address requests to [EMAIL PROTECTED] or try === http://www.team.net/cgi-bin/majorcool === Other lists available at === http://www.team.net/mailman/listinfo === Archives at http://www.team.net/archive === http://www.team.net/the-local === Edit your replies!
