-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Steve
Leyton
Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2008 11:33 AM
To: sprinklerforum@firesprinkler.org
Subject: RE: Seismic Calcs

If you consider this issue in terms of the 2007 standard, the sprinkler
system EQB designs are based on standard values that can be taken from
referenced sources (such as ASCE).  You then plug the values into
equations prescribed by NFPA 13 and you get a finalized design
(basically, you confirm the fastener or means of anchorage for the brace
assembly).   None of which takes into account the capacity of the
building itself to bear the applied loads that have been calculated, but
you don't need the help of an SE to simply design the braces.

Once upon a time, we did our designs on a deferred basis, showed EQB's
every 40', picked a hanger based on the type of structural member and
submitted for approval.  Today, especially here in the Southwest, we
consult the project structural engineer of record on every project.
Modern lightweight construction systems, engineered wood products and
high seismic force values often mean that even if one could design a
brace assembly that bears enough load to space out to 40' on center, you
simply can't put 600, or 700 or 800 lbs. of horizontal load on the floor
or roof framing.  We currently have projects where bracing is limited to
25-30' on center, just to dilute the load on each brace.

Southern California has several fire departments that now REQUIRE review
by the SE of record and an accompanying letter of acceptance.  This
speaks to the original question of what to put on the shop drawings -
perhaps nothing, if you can submit documentation of a 3rd-party review.
I know that this is another step that most in our industry have never
undertaken and generally doesn't account for in estimating design costs,
but I strongly recommend that every project be submitted to the
Architect for review by the designer(s) of record before submittal to
the FD.  And if you're in a region that is just now breaking into the
whole "seismic thing", I would also craft language into my standard
proposal form that excludes costs for review by structural engineer as
may be required.

Steve Leyton
Protection Design & Consulting