This is similar to the requirement for "Basements" over a certain area.

903.2.10.1 Stories and basements without openings.
An automatic sprinkler system shall be installed in every
story or basement of all buildings where the floor area
exceeds 1,500 square feet (139.4 m2) and where there is
not provided at least one of the following types of exterior
wall openings:
1. Openings below grade that lead directly to ground
level by an exterior stairway complying with Section
1009 or an outside ramp complying with Section
1010. Openings shall be located in each 50
linear feet (15 240 mm), or fraction thereof, of
exterior wall in the story on at least one side.
2. Openings entirely above the adjoining ground
level totaling at least 20 square feet (1.86 m2) in
each 50 linear feet (15 240 mm), or fraction
thereof, of exterior wall in the story on at least one
side.

You can have a sprinkler system that protects only the basement, or non
complying story. The code doesn't say to provide an automatic sprinkler
system for all buildings that contain----, it says the story or basement
shall be protected with automatic sprinklers. (A Partial system, of at least
4 EC heads,[4 x 400 = 1600 SF] or 20 or more depending on the total area.)

Thom McMahon, SET
Firetech, Inc.
2560 Copper Ridge Dr
P.O. Box 882136