This is me we're talking about. I'll wear hip waiters and carry a
bazooka. I got a proposal a few years back for a 58 head system fed
from 10 separate risers from the 3/4" public connection (6 heads off
a domestic system times 10 systems, right?). Same town; I hope not
the same guy.

I have no idea what the logic is behind this, but it's probably not
sound. I was just wondering if there is anything in IBC that I am
missing about the Limited Area systems

At 12:06 PM 3/31/2009, you wrote:
>As identified by Karen, the IBC allows some locations (such as furnace
>rooms) to be individually protected (or a higher degree of
>separation).  This is providing protection from this room to the rest
>of the building.  So I guess the sleeping room is such a hazard that
>the rest of the building needs protection from it?  More backwards
>thinking from a very qualified source.  Wear your pointed boots when
>you talk to them.
>
>Roland
>
>On Mar 31, 2009, at 4:43 AM, Todd Williams wrote:
>
> > The IBC mentions Limited Area sprinkler systems with a veiled
> > reference being 20 sprinklers or less. However, there is no formal
> > definition or description as to what they are or where they are
> > allowed. Any thoughts or experience with this? I have a proposal on
> > my desk for a partial system covering some sleeping rooms above a
> > restaurant (for employees). The rest of the building is unprotected.
> > Supposedly it is being required to renew their liquor permit. Since I
> > doubt the Liquor Commission has jurisdiction over fire protection,
> > I'm assuming that this is coming from the Fire Marshal.
> >
> > Todd G. Williams, PE
> > Fire Protection Design/Consulting
> > Stonington, Connecticut
> > www.fpdc.com