Steve,
I'm assuming that the quick response head reduction would not apply to your
facility (possibly due to a high ceiling or non-wet system)?
Last I remember, I believe the UFC allows for this reduction if you start at
3,000 sq.ft.
Nathan
Global Fire Engineering, Inc.
Tel: (813) 659-2700 | Fax: (813) 659-2727
[email protected]
-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Steve
Kowkabany
Sent: Thursday, September 24, 2009 7:18 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: Inadequte Water
I have the single most frustrating water issue I have ever had going on
right now Greg. I am working on this small commercial entrance facility at
a military base in Georgia. We are only sprinklering a small 3,800 sqft
cargo transfer building and getting the water from the local utility rather
than the base.
We designed based on modeling data that was the only thing available at
design (there was no water within a mile then) and had no problem making the
small light hazard wet system work.
Last week the underground was finally finished and we had our main run up to
the building and some nearby hydrants to test, so we tested them - 55/25 at
750 gpm. Bad water but still enough to make an little light hazard wet
system work right?
Not once you take a 3,000 sqft design area, a 500 gpm hose allowance due to
the presence of 300 sqft of OH1 rooms, and a mandatory 12 psi pressure
across the BFP regardless of the fact that it is actually a double-check -
all mandatory per UFC codes. After all that, you need 850 gpm at 40 psi to
make this system work and we are looking at a pump and a tank!
It's a very frustrating situation, so feel free to tell your AHJ he is not
alone.
Steve Kowkabany, P.E.
Fire Protection Engineer
Neptune Fire Protection Engineering LLC
616 Davis Street
Neptune Beach, FL 32266
904-652-4200 Phone
904-212-0868 Fax
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]
To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]
To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)