Let me guess:  he doesn't have an issue with sprinkler spray obstruction,
but has an issue with heat flow getting to the sprinkler.  Assuming that's
the case, he may (or may not) have a point - your beams are 15" deep and
heat would more likely flow parallel to the beams rather than cross under
the beam & fuse the sprinkler.  To my knowledge, 13 doesn't address that.
Unless someone wants to do some fire modeling, it's all opinion and theory.

Ed Kramer
Littleton, CO