I believe the point is to protect the structure above from a fire below. No 
balcony or roof, no exterior sprinkler required.

David Toshio Williams, PE, LEED-AP O+M
High Performance Projects Principal

LHB, Inc. | PERFORMANCE DRIVEN DESIGN


-----Original Message-----
From: Joel Chaim [mailto:[email protected]] 
Sent: Thursday, August 04, 2011 10:30 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: sprinkler heads in exterior decks or balconies

I'm trying to get clarification already for a while regarding sprinklers on
exterior decks, balconies & ground floor patios my questions are as follows:


 

.         Ground floor patios without a roof on top of it, where do I place
the sprinkler head?

.         Are terraces required to have a sprinkler head?

.         What is the purpose of installing a sprinkler head below the decks
if I want to protect the deck area?

 

I tried contacting New York state DOB and I never got a straight answer, I
looked up the IBC in different states and they added the words "provided
there is a roof above the deck"  looks to me that there is some
typographical error error in this section

 

 

 

 

SECTION OF FIRE CODE OF NYS CODE:

 

FCNYS  903.3.1.2.1 Balconies and decks. Sprinkler protection shall be
provided for exterior balconies, decks and ground floor patios of dwelling
units where the building is of Type V construction. Sidewall sprinklers that
are used to protect such areas shall be permitted to be located such that
their deflectors are within 1 inch (25 mm) to 6 inches (152 mm) below the
structural members and a maximum distance of 14 inches (356 mm) below the
deck of the exterior balconies and decks that are constructed of open wood
joist construction.

 

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

Reply via email to