So the SS is Standard Spray? Or Spray Sprinkler? Was is a straight stream
before?  What broke the water stream into droplets?

little disc over the bottle cap deflector was a 1954 model. The disc
disappeared (I think) the next year.

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 3:34 PM, Sprinkler Academy - C Bilbo <
prodesigngr...@msn.com> wrote:

> I am a geek for this stuff.
>
> The "Standard Sprinkler" was researched and developed at Factory Mutual at
> least as early as 1947.  The 1947 edtion of NFPA 13 (NBFU 13) allows for
> newly designed sprinkler deflectors for effective water distribution to be
> considered.  By 1952, Factory Mutual had enough data to conclude that the
> new deflector designs provided superior water spray patterns, droplet
> sizes, and discharge to replace the "Conventional Sprinkler".  So, as
> expected, the term "Spray Sprinkler" makes its first appearance in the 1953
> edtion of NBFU 13.
>
> It wasn't until the release of the 1955 edition that both, the 'Standard'
> and the 'Old-Style' (or 'Conventional'), are introduced into the standard.
>  They are both considered "spray sprinklers".....
>
> The new concept is explained in detail in Section 1 - General Information.
>  Article 100 explains that this edition makes a break from the sprinkler
> that had been used for the previous 70 years.
>
> Interestingly, this is also where the vertical line (or 'bar') makes it's
> first appearance to indicate "new material for this edition".
>
> It should be recognized that the above is my opinion as a member of the
> NFPA, and has not been processed as a formal interpretation in accordance
> with the NFPA Regulations Governing Committee Projects and should therefore
> not be considered, nor relied upon, as the official position of the the
> NFPA, nor any of their technical committees.
>
> Sincerely,
>

> Cecil Bilbo
> Academy of Fire Sprinkler Technology
> Champaign, IL
> 217.607.0325
> www.sprinkleracademy.com
> ce...@sprinkleracademy.com
>
> OUR STUDENTS SAVE LIVES!!

Ron Greenman
Instructor
Fire Protection Engineering Technology
Bates Technical College
1101 So. Yakima Ave.
Tacoma, WA 98405

rgreen...@bates.ctc.edu

 http://www.bates.ctc.edu/fireprotection/

253.680.7346
253.576.9700 (cell)

Member:
ASEE, SFPE, ASCET, NFPA, AFSA, NFSA, AFAA, NIBS, WSAFM, WFC, WFSC

They are happy men whose natures sort with their vocations. -Francis Bacon,
essayist, philosopher, and statesman (1561-1626)