Given the fact that the 1953 edition refered to the original as "spray
sprinklers" (the original being the kind that sent "spray" up and down), we
could say that both are spray sprinklers.  We just started using the term spray
when Mr. Thompson from FM started researching the new style deflector that sent
all of the "spray" down.  It was discovered that enough water was sent to the
deck through evaporation and rising heat that it was not necessary to spray
water up to the deck.  Using all of the energy to send the water down, allowed
for better spacing.  Standard Spray also can said to have an attribute
described as a certain size water droplet (don't have access to my books just
now.. between x & y microns, perhaps???).

The committee therefore named the new sprinkler style as the "Standard Spray"
Sprinkler (and THAT is what the SS is for).  And then renamed the original
sprinkler to be known as the "conventional sprinkler" (the industry naturally
started to use the phrase "old style" because we are now using a 'new style').

SSU = Standard Spray Upright
SSP = Standard Spray Pendent

It should be recognized that the above is my opinion as a member of the NFPA,
and has not been processed as a formal interpretation in accordance with the
NFPA Regulations Governing Committee Projects and should therefore not be
considered, nor relied upon, as the official position of the the NFPA, nor any
of their technical committees.

Sincerely,

Cecil Bilbo
Academy of Fire Sprinkler Technology