In Seattle the University of Washington used to be north of the city in
what is now the very heart (the Four Seasons Hotel now occupies the
original site). When this became too valuable a property and too small also
the University was moved to a site north and ast of Lake Union. There are
buildings in the U District that have basement only systems with closed
heads and without automatic water supplies. Presumably the fire department
was supposed to hook up to the FDC and supply the water. There are also
buildings in the International District, directly east and adjoining the
original city with the same configuration. There are also older buildings
with a head the size of a potato with 1 1/2" connections that have tits
protruding at angles from the body shot small streams of water while the
body rotates. Most of these have been poached over the years and the
"systems"abandoned. There was obviously a time when "automatic" was not
important. If I decide to care I'll see if I can find when the requirement
for an automatic water supply crept into the code. I don't think there is a
requirement that a system needs to be automatic in operation.

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 10:35 AM, <bcasterl...@fsc-inc.com> wrote:

> i guess. i think it all started in the big mills (whatever those were) out
> east-if there was a fire in the lower 40 someone said 'hey joe, go open
> valve L40E.

Ron Greenman
Instructor
Fire Protection Engineering Technology
Bates Technical College
1101 So. Yakima Ave.
Tacoma, WA 98405

rgreen...@bates.ctc.edu

http://www.bates.ctc.edu/fireprotection/

253.680.7346
253.576.9700 (cell)

Member:
ASEE, SFPE, ASCET, NFPA, AFSA, NFSA, AFAA, NIBS, WSAFM, WFC, WFSC

They are happy men whose natures sort with their vocations. -Francis Bacon,
essayist, philosopher, and statesman (1561-1626)