EWe have automatic sprinkler heads, and we have automatic sprinkler heads ,
and we have automatic sprinkler systems, and we have automatic systems with
open heads (holes), but we also have manual systems with open heads or
simply just holes. I believe the first edition of NFPA 13 came out in 1905
and was actually NFBU (?) 1. I have a handbook from 1914 talking about
assigning dedicated personal to turning on valves. And as I've related we
have manual systems with automatic heads in several buildings in Seattle,
as well as manual exposure protection systems that I doubt any dedicated
person is assigned to operate.

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 6:58 AM, David deVries <dave.firet...@gmail.com>wrote:

> 13-2007, Section 23.1.1  Every automatic sprinkler system shall have at
> least one automatic water supply.
>
> CMTCert, Fig, 24.1  Remarks:  Date left in service with all control valves
> open.
>
> In the very early days of perforated pipe systems, before the invention of
> the automatic sprinkler, there were manual systems in the New England
> mills.
>
> Dave
>
> On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 4:20 AM, <bcasterl...@fsc-inc.com> wrote:
>
> > 'automatic' is in the definition of system types, and has probably been
> > required from the time the head replaced the hole.
> > sorry forum- i need to simmer down again- i'll try..
> > Ron, correction; i was waiting with bated breath, not baited.

Ron Greenman
Instructor
Fire Protection Engineering Technology
Bates Technical College
1101 So. Yakima Ave.
Tacoma, WA 98405

rgreen...@bates.ctc.edu

http://www.bates.ctc.edu/fireprotection/

253.680.7346
253.576.9700 (cell)

Member:
ASEE, SFPE, ASCET, NFPA, AFSA, NFSA, AFAA, NIBS, WSAFM, WFC, WFSC

They are happy men whose natures sort with their vocations. -Francis Bacon,
essayist, philosopher, and statesman (1561-1626)