But the "cure" (air leakage test performed every 3 years) is only cured when:
a) its adopted
b) its enforced.

Parallel to when an EOR leaves boiler plate in his spec for compliance with the
"latest" edition of a particular code or standard. Why would you penalize the
Owner's wallet for compliance with a more stringent code or standard when the
AHJ hasn't? If there's an exception or change that came into a later code, any
sharp-eyed Forumite would know to ask if they could apply a more recent code or
standard, and properly apply the entirety of that document, assuming a
reasonable AHJ. We recently received a bid pkg for a nursing home retrofit that
cited "latest" when PA's DOH, like all nationally as I understand it, have NO
option but to enforce the 1999 edition of NFPA 13- and no trying to sneak in a
later standard, it cannot be accepted because CMS, the funding authority and
hammer behind the Aug 2013 nursing home mandate for fully sprinklered, accepts
NOTHING but the 99 edition of 13 with whatever TIAs were issued as of the date
of CMS adoption of the 2000 LSC invoking 99 #13.

Currently we here in PA have no obligation other than "risk management" to
comply with any of the string of NFPA directives on AF since they're not part
of the PA Uniform Construction Code. And we recently saw a set of our
competitor's dwgs as I mentioned then, dry system grid installed in the 2000 or
so. Signed off by a NICET Level IV, just as the grocery store designed to the
largest room (other than the sales area that was ignored) and had 2- 2" city
connections ganged together into two Lowe's swing checks and a 3/4" boiler
drain for a ITC and main drain. A whole 67 gallons a minute protected this
grocery with light hazard spacing. I'll give em credit that they used QR
sprinklers, but passing a test and applying the standards to a job are two
different things.

TGIF

George L.  Church, Jr., CET
Rowe Sprinkler Systems, Inc.