From: Tom Duross <tduro...@comcast.net>
Date:02/25/2014  1:23 PM  (GMT-05:00)
To: sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org
Subject: RE: Air Testing CPVC Piping

I've always air tested cpvc to 50# for an hour prior to hydro at the rough
stage of installation, regardless of manufacturer's caution.  Some dry fits can
hold almost that much unglued when the pipe is properly supported and braced
allowing little room for slipping.  I hydro with premix glycerin in the winter
and after 2 hours, drop it back to 100 and leave it for the sheet-rocking
stage.  And I advise them all it's under pressure so be careful screwing and
most important (to me anyway) don't bend the head to meet your hole that's off
just because you think you can.
TD

Most CPVC manufacturers advise against air testing a CPVC piping system since
pipe failures usually are very dangerous because of the plastic fragments
produced by the pipe failure. There is a lot of energy store in a pipe system
being tested with air. The stored energy is capable of causing a fatality due
to flying pipe shards.

I would recommend against  testing with air.

Regards

Jim

We have an AHJ requiring a 50 psi test on CPVC piping, we think that is
excessive, and have always used 20 psi max. I know the best practice is to do a
hydrostatic test, but thanks to the polar vortex we are having freezing
temperatures and the builder needs to close up his walls. Right now we are
looking for chapter and verse as to what the maximum recommended pressure is
for an air test. Have looked through 3 different CPVC installation handbooks
but the number is not jumping out at me. The TYCO Residential Dry System runs
10 - 15 psi pressure. Note: This is not  a residential dry system we are trying
to air test a system so the drywall can go on. When the building gets the heat
turned on it will be a wet system.

Richard L. Mote