Nope, no opinions on my end Ron. Butt  ( ;) ) I finally did get some
closure on a dang flushing connection for CPVC.

I've still got mine too, but according to FB I might have lost my doctor,
if I had one.
On Sep 2, 2016 10:25 AM, "rongreenman ." <[email protected]> wrote:

> "*The problem being that someone changed something in the code and they
> "seemingly unintentionally" changed the definition (in loose terms) of a
> wet system:*
> from: a riser
> to: a riser, and each floor with a floor controller. "
>
> Never happened. Look at the definition of riser in 13. It still just says
> "The VERTICAL" supply piping in a sprinkler system." (13:13-3.5.9) If you
> look up the definition of sprinkler system in 13 you'll find floor control
> valves still don't define a system.
>
> *The actual problem being that someone that someone at NFSA interpreted
> something to mean something when a zillion other references throughout the
> book dispute that interpretation.* This thread seems to have become
> FaceBookish wherein someone says a thing and because that someone is
> perceived as an authority the comment the equivalent of a Supreme Court
> decision. No matter how many bloggers keep telling me Obama is coming to
> take my pistol I still seem to have it. Maybe he hasn't gotten to the NW
> yet.
>
> And Brad. If you've never read 25, but only 13A, do you even get an
> opinion? I read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Mechanics and it didn't say a
> damned thing about repairing motorcycles.
>
> On Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 6:01 AM, Brad Casterline <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Joe, I appreciate you sharing your experience with NFPA 25.
>>
>> I've got my hands full trying to apply 13 right!
>>
>> Good luck- hopefully you will continue to get feedback from the heavy
>> lifters.
>>
>>
>>
>> here is what I was looking for:
>>
>>
>>
>> "You do not do it for cpvc."
>>
>>
>>
>> Thanks again,
>>
>>
>>
>> Brad
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> *From:* Sprinklerforum [mailto:sprinklerforum-bounces
>> @lists.firesprinkler.org] *On Behalf Of *Jody Massey
>> *Sent:* Friday, September 02, 2016 7:24 AM
>> *To:* [email protected]
>> *Subject:* Re: 5 year fire sprinkler Obstruction Assessment - What items
>> in asystem define it as a separate wet pipe system?
>>
>>
>>
>> Brad,
>>
>> What I am now very clear on - is that I have stumbled into a hornets nest
>> - with no hard answer.
>>
>>
>>
>> *The problem being that someone changed something in the code and they
>> "seemingly unintentionally" changed the definition (in loose terms) of a
>> wet system:*
>>
>> from: a riser
>>
>> to: a riser, and each floor with a floor controller.
>>
>>
>>
>> Just because there is a "seemingly unintentionally" change, does that
>> mean we change how we do business - whatever the concequence?
>>
>>
>>
>> *This only effects every 5 year inspection for every large building in
>> the USA. No big deal. *
>>
>>
>>
>> *Implication for obstruction assessment:*
>>
>>  X- story building with a three wet risers
>>
>> 1st scenario: look at 2 sprinkler heads
>>
>> 2nd scenarion: look at 3 sprinkler heads every 2 floors
>>
>>
>>
>> I am seeing people across the country "skipping" this part of the 5 year
>> - and the AHJ not catching it - because it is costing in the neighborhood
>> of $18k for a 5 year inspection because of misunderstanding.
>>
>>
>>
>> I do not have a problem with people spending money to keep the building
>> safe, but there is another side to the coin.
>>
>>
>>
>> The commitee on the code (or wheover it is) debates each time on how
>> often to open the system and look because when you do that, you introduce
>> air. They are really worried about this and are trying to minimize this -
>> because it can do more harm than good.
>>
>>
>>
>> If we look at a lot more heads just to meet the letter of the new
>> "seemingly unintentional consequence of a code change" we:
>>
>>    1. get a better sample
>>    2. charge the building alot more money
>>    3. put the building at more risk
>>    4. probably go against the intention of the people who write the code
>>
>> I dunno what to do... (insert head scratch here)
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> And Brad - I am not a scholar on this stuff so I am probably wrong - but
>> it is my understanding that you do this for all systems - not just wet. You
>> look at *every* non-wet system plus *every other* wet system. The
>> reasoning seems to be that dry systems will have a little water in there
>> and lots of air which is a higher risk for growth. You do not do it for
>> cpvc.  It just states you are looking for "The presence of sufficient
>> foreign organic or inorganic material", if you find enough material, then
>> you have a field day looking all over the building because you have entered
>> the NFPA 25 14.3 zone.
>>
>>
>>
>> *- Joe*
>>
>> ᐧ
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Sprinklerforum mailing list
>> [email protected]
>> http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-
>> firesprinkler.org
>>
>>
>
>
> --
> Ron Greenman
>
> 4110 Olson Dr., NW
> Gig Harbor, WA 98335
>
> [email protected]
>
> 253.576.9700
>
> The Universe is monstrously indifferent to the presence of man. -Werner
> Herzog, screenwriter, film director, author, actor and opera
> director (1942-)
>
> _______________________________________________
> Sprinklerforum mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.
> org
>
>
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org

Reply via email to