Good analysis Bruce.
I was just thinking a manual deluge would be the way to go. That would be
identical the very earliest systems in England  (pipes with holes and a
control valve someone opened if need be).
Obviously the area is attended while loading/unloading.

And since I'm at home relaxing now as opposed to being in my cubicle
worrying about being busted for 'being on the internet' I want to correct
something from my first post: .000283 ft^2, not ft^3.
And if anyone is leery of deriving a K Factor using feet, seconds, and
gravity, please try it with nominal 1/2" sprinklers. The well-known C of D
for them is .75.

Brad