Yes, that is right and in practice you can run into a lot of application
problems which is why this construction needs to be nipped in the bud as early
as possible if it can be nipped.

The very first fact that needs to be determined is whether or not the building
code requires a fire or smoke rated separation between that mechanical space
and the other spaces. There can be a separation requirement, in which case the
room requires a lid or full height walls having at least one side drywalled.
The sprinkler issue goes away.

The application problems occur when you run into the other systems where the
upper sprinkler layer is supposed to be. For example the space above might be
paved in HVAC ducts.

This open condition occurs in many forms. A simple form is the janitor’s closet
that was supposed to have a ceiling where the general contractor decides not to
install. Sometimes we’ll see a sprinkler hanging in the breeze ready for the
ceiling and sometimes we’ll see an upright placed by a thoughtful fitter.

A more complicated condition is the totally enclosed data center hot aisle
returning into an above ceiling open plenum return space where the required hot
return air opening equals all of the ceiling space in the hot aisle. An
enclosed hot aisle is where walls and doors are at equipment rack aisle ends.
The racks discharge hot air sideways into the aisle space. A divider closes off
the space between the rack tops and the ceiling. In this scheme the idea is to
remove the “used” cooling air so that it cannot mix with cooling air.

This might happen when a conventionally designed data center, i.e. raised floor
with a ceiling, is upgraded with super high power density server racks that
require so much heat rejection airflow that by the book the entire ceiling area
must be egg crate if anything. The enclosed hot aisle condition basically
creates the same room without a ceiling condition. Applying "the standard"
spins into endless issues being in a space where most are religiously
hydrophobic and also where systems might also be a bit exotic.

Allan Seidel
St. Louis, MO