Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is an issue with Spyder or with Anaconda, but here it
goes; I raised this same question on Stack Overflow
<http://stackoverflow.com/q/39905258/4118153> a few days ago, so I'm just
gonna copy the same text here.

I've been using Spyder 2 as my default Python IDE for a couple of years
already, and while preparing a class on Signal Processing I've stumbled
upon the new Spyder 3 on Anaconda and decided to see what it looks like.

First, I've updated the Anaconda distribution on my Ubuntu 16.04 office
computer to the newest version (i.e. I had a previous version already
installed), and then got quite surprised when the button for "Set Console
Working Directory" on the File Explorer (top right, between the "folder"
icon and the "up arrow" icon) was missing. I can still change the working
directory manually on the IPython console, but it's impractical and
certainly won't motivate the students!

Thinking it could be a bug with the conda update, I've then decided to give
it a go at downloading and installing the Anaconda for Windows on my home
laptop (which is probably what most of the students will do), and it also
does not have the "Set Console Working Directory" button.

By then I was thinking the new Spyder version might have abandoned it, but
strangely enough, the Spyder GitHub page has a screenshot
<https://github.com/spyder-ide/spyder> of the new Spyder 3 that HAS this
exact same button (again: top right, between the "folder" icon and the "up
arrow" icon)!

EDIT: here <http://i.stack.imgur.com/eDHih.png>'s a screenshot of how my
Spyder looks like in Windows (the big red arrow is pointing towards where
the icon should be).

Does anyone knows if there is a setting option that hides the "Set console
working directory" button, or if this is a bug in the more recent Anaconda
version that doesn't show it?

Many thanks!