On Thu, 10 Aug 2017, Clemens Ladisch wrote:

x wrote:
I’m thinking about this more from the gain in speed rather than saving space.

Database performance is usually limited by I/O, i.e., you gain speed by
saving space.

To be clear, database performance is usually limited by the number of I/O operations possible within a given amount of time (IOPS) rather than the bandwidth (bytes/second) available.

If the database is small enough to fit in the OS filesystem cache, then hardly any I/O operations to underlying store will be needed to satisfy requests.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn