> On Aug 10, 2017, at 9:36 AM, Nico Williams <n...@cryptonector.com> wrote:
>
> Then proper compression (e.g., with zlib) will be much better for you
> than what you're trying to do.

zlib isn’t fast enough for usage like this. It’s better to use something like
Snappy, which was designed to be very fast, at the expense of less compression.
It works very well for database content.

If I were going to use it, I’d implement a pair of SQL functions to
compress/uncompress blobs, then wrap calls to those around the SQL statements
that read and write the column I wanted to compress.

(Of course this is total overkill for storing a couple of integers as discussed
here.)

—Jens