> if your systems are set up in a sane way, the MAC address alone would
prevent collisions, no?
> And on the same system, are collisions even possible?

Google says "In the case of standard version 1 and 2 UUIDsusing unique MAC
addresses from network cards, collisions can occur only when an
implementation varies from the standards, either inadvertently or
intentionally."

I used to use UUIDs, but when looking at a database using many foreign
keys, it was a debug nightmare looking for a specific key.  After switching
to auto increment fields, its nice when debugging to look for
'templateId=4310' and not
'templateId='8af78580-bb03-4674-92ab-33cef99afdb2'.