> On Nov 30, 2017, at 6:52 AM, Stephen Chrzanowski <pontia...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm going to read it later, but, I'll be going in skeptical.  Collision is
> real, even at 128-bit resolution

IIRC, to have a realistic chance of a collision you'd have to generate about
√(2^128) UUIDs, which is 2^64, which about 2 x 10^19, i.e. 20 quintillion. I
don’t think there’s a real chance that this database will be in operation long
enough to generate that many records!

UUIDs are probably overkill for typical databases, but they’re extremely useful
for distributed ones, where a centralized counter becomes both a performance
bottleneck, a single point of failure, and in some cases (P2P) a trust problem.

—Jens