On Dec 4, 2017, at 3:42 PM, Keith Medcalf <kmedc...@dessus.com> wrote:

> On Monday, 4 December, 2017 15:44, Jens Alfke <j...@mooseyard.com> wrote:
>
>>> If one object is using, for example, the multithreaded runtime and
>>> the others are using the single threaded runtime (for example), and
>>> the third perhaps the subsystem runtime
>
>> From the OP’s other thread here it looks like they’re developing for
>> iOS or macOS, neither of which have the sorts of multiple runtimes
>> you’re talking about (is that a Windows thing?)
>
> I had believed it was Windows since "DLL" was mentioned

No, the original message said

> Btw, if I build my extension as a dynamic library and load it
> in a SQLite shell, all is fine.

which says "dynamic library", rather than "DLL"; the term "dynamic" is used
with most UN*X implementations of shared libraries (and the file suffix used
for shared libraries on Darwin-based systems such as macOS and iOS is ".dylib").

> and that is a Windows (or OS/2) contraction for dynamic load library.  I
> don't think anything else uses that term in quite the same way.

The initialism "DLL" is a sign that the system being discussed is almost
certainly Windows.  The word "dynamic", however, isn't - it may even be a sign
that it's a UN*X, as they probably would have said "DLL" were it Windows.