NFS is a Remote/Network File System.

iSCSI is a local file system.

iSCSI is just transporting the SCSI protocol over a "different" physical layer
sort of like how you can transport SCSI over really really fat parallel SCSI
cables, PATA cables, or SATA cables. (That is, pSCSI, sSCSI, and iSCSI are
identical and they are all filesystemless block transport protocols).

---
lot about anticipated traffic volume.