On Tue, 9 Oct 2018 11:19:13 -0600, Warren Young <war...@etr-usa.com> wrote:
> On Oct 9, 2018, at 7:48 AM, Scott Robison <sc...@casaderobison.com> wrote:
>>
>> Isn't Gmane a web forum style interface to email lists?
>
> Gmane also provides NNTP access.  I suspect the anti-forum types are
> using Usenet news readers to follow such lists.

That's precisely what Gmane was always for.

I suppose I must be an "anti-forum type" even though I have never used
Gmane, but it does rather sound as though you are applying a somewhat
perjorative label here.

> Gmane is part of the problem that lead to the creation of the Fossil
> forum feature.  Viz., it enables spammers, by design:
>
>     http://gmane.org/about/

I don't see that page saying what you claim it says.

> The arguments about mailing lists vs forums have all been had.

Not in my hearing :-)

> The software's been written ...

So I've joined the Fossil forum, and I get each post as an email and
they seem to thread properly, but of course I can't post by email, and
if I wanted to reply in context (like this very email) I would have to
construct it manually and paste it into the forum.

Even just reading, some of the forum emails are meaningless because
there is no context. I know, I could follow the link to the forum to see
the context - and then come back, and then go to the forum for a
different context ...

It's all too much trouble for someone with a lot of mailing list
subscriptions, there isn't enough time in the day, it's a lot easier to
keep a finger on the pulse without reading everything in mailing lists
than it is with forums.

I suppose all that amounts to a somewhat blurry feature request ;-)

Eric
--
ms fnd in a lbry