On Oct 9, 2018, at 7:48 AM, Scott Robison <sc...@casaderobison.com> wrote:

> Isn't Gmane a web forum style interface to email lists?

Gmane also provides NNTP access.  I suspect the anti-forum types are using
Usenet news readers to follow such lists.

Gmane is part of the problem that lead to the creation of the Fossil forum
feature.  Viz., it enables spammers, by design:

    http://gmane.org/about/

The arguments about mailing lists vs forums have all been had.  The software’s
been written and is now successfully being used, tested, and enhanced, both
within the Fossil project and in third-party repositories.  (Two of my own
public repos are now using Fossil forums, for example.)

I believe the only uncertainties left are how many more features and how much
more battle testing drh will want before cutting this mailing list over.

It is possible that Fossil will grow an email submission feature before that
happens, so that this list *appears* to remain in place, even after it’s moved
to a Fossil forum on the back end.  If that happens, I expect such email will
be moderated by default.  I’m not sure whether it will ever be safe to mark
email submissions as not needing moderation, due to the ease of email From
address forgery.