On Oct 9, 2018, at 1:20 PM, Ian Zimmerman <i...@very.loosely.org> wrote:

> There are many mailing lists which are not moderated by a human (to my
> knowledge) and do not suffer from this problem.  Why?  Maybe because
> someone took time to put a well tuned spam filter in place on the MTA
> level?

Would you rather drh be writing SQLite and other software or managing MTAs and
spam software?  At least if he spends time writing forum and SMTP features for
Fossil, he’s adding value to the world, rather than simply fighting its decay.

If you say “hire it out,” where do those funds come from?

Moderation delegates the workload to people who volunteer to do it, which gives
drh time to do the things he’d prefer to be doing, much of which overlaps with
the things we’d rather he be doing, too.

Also: This list may be an unusually juicy target, given the number of places
SQLite is deployed.  Are you comparing apples to apples?