On Oct 9, 2018, at 2:50 PM, Darren Duncan <dar...@darrenduncan.net> wrote:

> On 2018-10-09 12:56 PM, Eric wrote:
>> On Tue, 9 Oct 2018 11:19:13 -0600, Warren Young <war...@etr-usa.com> wrote:
>>> Gmane is part of the problem that lead to the creation of the Fossil
>>> forum feature.  Viz., it enables spammers, by design:
>>>
>>>     http://gmane.org/about/
>> I don't see that page saying what you claim it says.
>
> The only thing I saw along those lines was that gmane made it easy to harvest
> the email addresses of all the forum posters, which could lead to external
> spam, but I didn't see anything about it making things easier to send spam to
> the lists themselves, unless that's implied by something else. -- Darren
> Duncan

One of the problems we’ve been having on these lists is that every time someone
posts to it, they get NSFW spam, presumably because by posting, you’ve just
proven that your email address is valid.  Everyone on the ML sees the poster’s
email address.  My mailer included yours in the quoting structure above, and
you quoted mine in the earlier quotes above.

(I’ve been on mailing lists where they yelled at you if you didn’t strip such
things from the email, never mind not having any evidence that this helped.)

The only people who can see email addresses on a Fossil forum are the Admin and
Setup users, which are typically the same person, and there’s usually only one.
 They aren’t visible to subscribers, and they aren’t included in forum
repository clones.