Arjen Markus wrote:
Fred Williams wrote:

Well, since you put it that way.  May I go one step farther and request
that this new Dynamic Type also adhere to "Bankers Rounding" commonly
implemented as BCD in other so equipped databases.

For years I have spent countless hours testing  and sweating rounding
and comparisons using "Float" (Real?) fields because (IMHO) the database
designers were scientific mathematicians and the world of users were
99%^ business types.  So, spare me further anguish... :-)

Hm, being an engineer (and not having too much experience with database,
I immediately admit), I have always thought it was the other way around:
administrative and financial people designing database systems :).
Being an engineer and a software designer, I can assure you that the computer scientists, not practical engineers or accountants, get to design software and inflict floating point numbers on non-scientific users.

I rather like the idea Richard is trying to get across. Too often people
have been surprised by such awkward behaviour 5/2 becoming 2 or 5.1*5.1
turning out to be 26.00999 instead of 26.01 and the like.

As for banker's rounding: if I understand it correctly, there are at least two slightly different systems - an American and a European one.
That problem should be solved too, if you are going to introduce such
behaviour.

Regards,

Arjen