While I am using SQLIite mostly in x86-64 with plentiful RAM, I suspect the
reduced lookaside size will help CPU L1/L2 caches, which is definitely
never plentiful. I would not be surprised if it resulted in a speedup in
practical high-load multi-threaded scenarios.

Also future SQLite code changes may be able to further build upon a new
lookaside configuration by tweaking the structure sizes to more tightly
match with the slot sizes f.i., and reduce the performance hit even in
single-threaded cases.

So "on by default" for me.

Eric