Sqlite works very well for web applications unless they are large and very busy. It is easy to manage and backup and performs well.

For a larger scale operation PostgreSQL would be a better choice than MySql. If you design your application with care you could switch from Sqlite to PostgreSQL if the scale of operation demanded it.
JS

Lenster wrote:
Thanks Guys

I appreciate the input.

Denis Sbragion
how critical and complex is the data stored?

Well the data IS critical but NOT complex

Gerhard Häring

From what you have said Gerhard it seems that SQLite is probably upto the
job, however MySQL or PostgreSQL will be more futureproof should I want to
expand the datasets, functionality and online support is greater. As far as
configuring the server being the main difference between SQLite and MySQL -
well I have already configured a test MySQL server and that seemed easy
enough.

I think I have convinced myself that MySQL would be the best choice for this
application. I rate MySQL over PostgreSQL for two reasons:

1) Googling PostgreSQL produced 52,700,000 hits, Googling MySQL produced
397,000,000 hits
2) I've already bought a book about MySQL .... ;-)

Thanks again