We ran into the same problem here.  It seems as though maybe the
amalgamation is hand-edited for distribution to remove the contents
of the config.h to be system agnostic.  When we built ours from CVS,
we just did the same hand-edit and packaged it and it compiled fine on the
dozen or so OS's we distribute binaries for (Windows (32 & 64), MacOSX,
Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, SCO, AIX, ...).

I'd actually like to know the consequences of this though, especially
in relation to the reentrant functions (HAVE_GMTIME_R, HAVE_LOCALTIME_R),
also I'd be interested to know what it does without UINT64_T or UINTPTR_T...

-Brad