Good afternoon list,

Are there any known techniques for reducing SQLite's memory footprint?
I am currently evaluating SQLite as a possible replacement to our
current proprietary database solution.  However SQLite is very memory
intensive compared to our current solution (although SQLite is faster
and more feature rich), e.g. 9MB for our current solution versus 28 MB
for SQLite with the same source data.  Due to our platforms limitations
we need to be able to run our database solution completely in RAM in our
worst case environment we don't have any writable storage available:
this prevents the use of SQLite's paging facility except for read only
tables.  Our current solution achieves its small memory footprint by bit
packing where we specify the minimum and maximum values for each column
the system then uses the smallest number of bits possible to represent
integer, bit and float values, strings are the exception which we use
UTF-8 to store.

So is there any existing techniques I can leverage to reduce the memory
footprint for SQLite?  Ideally I'd like to be able to stay inside our
original memory footprint of 9 MB, which I think could be achievable
with a combination of paging our read only tables from disc and keeping
our writable tables 100% in memory with some sort of compression being
applied.

Cheers,

Daniel Brown | Software Engineer
"The best laid schemes o' mice an' men, gang aft agley"