Paul Claessen wrote:
> So .. would anyone know a good book for seasoned programmers, who are new to
> databases, that addresses all these issues?

I suggest one of C. J. Date's latest works:

See http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596523060/ .

SQL and Relational Theory
How to Write Accurate SQL Code
By C.J. Date
January 2009
Pages: 426
Series: Theory In Practice
ISBN 10: 0-596-52306-8 | ISBN 13: 978059652306

Description
Understanding SQL's underlying theory is the best way to guarantee that your
SQL
code is correct and your database schema is robust and maintainable. In SQL and
Relational Theory, author C.J. Date demonstrates how you can apply relational
theory directly to your use of SQL, with numerous examples and clear
explanations of the reasoning behind them. Anyone with a modest to advanced
background in SQL will benefit from the many insights in this book.

-- Darren Duncan