Darren Duncan wrote:
<snip>
> So I farmed out this question yesterday to another list I'm on, and got
> another
<snip>
> And another response said:
>
>    After having read a few of the responses, the original question strikes me
> as
> "very hard to answer".
>
>    I mean, how can one be a "seasoned programmer" and at the same time be
> "new
> to databases" ????????
<snip>

Before anyone decides to call that responder out on this comment, someone
already did, and followed with a generic recommendation:

   What about programmers who work in image processing, 3D graphics, games
development, device driver development, real-time image rendering,
systems programming, embedded systems, and so on?  Such fields tend to
be heavily focused on implementing and optimising algorithms or
interfacing with hardware, and often don't even encounter persistence,
let alone data management as we typically understand it.  For
programmers who have been working in these fields but are moving into
developing (for example) business applications, I think almost any
introductory database text would be a suitable starting point.

-- Darren Duncan