A simple query question that I really ought to know the answer to but don't:

Given a table with multiple columns in it how do I count how many
entries there are with column A matching some value where column B is
distinct?

sqlite> create table a (a, b);
sqlite> insert into a values (10, 1);
sqlite> insert into a values (10, 2);
sqlite> insert into a values (10, 2);
sqlite> insert into a values (11, 2);
sqlite> insert into a values (11, 2);
sqlite> insert into a values (11, 3);
sqlite> select * from a where a=10 group by b;
10|1
10|2
sqlite> select * from a where a=11 group by b;
11|2
11|3

How can I do count equivalent of such a query to find out how many
distinct values of b there are for a given a? (That is get an answer of
2 in the above)

Thanks

--
Matthew Jones
Hewlett-Packard Ltd

Hewlett-Packard Limited registered Office: Cain Road, Bracknell, Berks,
RG12 1HN. Registered No: 690597 England

The contents of this message and any attachments to it are confidential
and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message in
error, you should delete it from your system immediately and advise the
sender.

To any recipient of this message within HP, unless otherwise stated you
should consider this message and attachments as "HP CONFIDENTIAL".