On 05/12/2012 1:25 PM, Dan Kennedy wrote:
On 12/06/2012 12:47 AM, Black, Michael (IS) wrote:
I'm a bit confused with "always aligned". None of the lseeks in this
log are 1024 aligned.

And I just ran a test with the 3.7.15.1 latest amalgamation and most
of these seeks are not aligned.  Once in a while it gets lucky.
Alignment sure isn't deliberate in this.  It appears the first page
is 1080 which is already out of alignment.  File#4 here is the wal
file.

I wasn't clear. Writes to the WAL file are not aligned. However,
they are usually sequential, which means on an OS with a smart
enough cache you don't really gain anything at all trying to align
them.
That hypothesis could be easily tested by examining the corresponding strace output for mysql... I don't know if sqlite3's unaligned log writes are actually slow (didn't see this info in any of Keith's messages), but if they are that would suggest the hypothesis is false; it would really put nails in the coffin if mysql uses aligned log writes.

Ryan