Hi All

> That hypothesis could be easily tested by examining the corresponding strace
> output for mysql... I don't know if sqlite3's unaligned log writes are
> actually slow (didn't see this info in any of Keith's messages), but if they
> are that would suggest the hypothesis is false; it would really put nails in
> the coffin if mysql uses aligned log writes.
>
> (BTW Michael, whatever mechanism you use to reply breaks threading in both
> Thunderbird and the list archives at sqlite.org; makes it harder to follow
> conversations)

Thank you so much for all the input. I tried 2 things, using only a
single connection (as suggested by Clemen) and to change the page size
to 32K. Single connection did not reduce the average latency, but did
help in reducing the spikes. So, I believe Clemen has helped identify
one issue (write concurrencies). Using 32K page size also did help
reduce the spikes (not sure logic behind this, have yet to do a
strace), but average latency is still there.

As expected, combining the 2 solutions would not reduce the average
latency, but spikes are not as frequent anymore. Eg I still see 160ms
average, and sometimes it spikes to 300ms, but I have not seen a
4000ms transaction.

I don't think there is anything more I do about this at this stage, I
am getting a 7200rpm drive later today to test and see if that makes a
difference. I am expecting the average latency to drop by about 25%.

Regards
Keith