On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 1:01 PM, Keith Chew <keith.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I used sar and iostat to profile what is happening at the disk level,
> and below are the results. You can see that the TPS on the disk is
> very small, only 6-7 tps, and both mysql and sqlite profiles show very
> close patterns, except sqlite is writing a bit more. I would expect at
> this tps level, writes should be very fast. Is there anything else I
> can try to narrow this down further?

Hi

I have found that by changing the commit time of ext3 (ie from
commit=1 to commit=5), the latency drops to 0s, and only goes up to
160ms during the commit from the kernel.

So, I know that the latency is actually caused by the kernel journal
commits, but strangely it is not affecting mysql. Is there anything I
can do in the code to investigate this further?

I am guess it may have something to do with the locking of the files.
sqlite could be getting blocked by the filesystem when trying to
obtain the lock before writing to the file...