On 10 Feb 2014, at 3:23pm, Richard Hipp <d...@sqlite.org> wrote:

> When launching sqlite3.exe with a double-click, have it open a standard
> database in a standard place instead of an in-memory database as you would
> get when launching sqlite3.exe with no arguments.  Possibly also give
> additional hints, such as references to the ".open" command, when launching
> by double-click.

If the shell does have to make up its own filepath it should tell the user what
it did, where to find the path, and perhaps also how to specify their own path
in future.

> [snip] (2) This change would be for Windows only.

Why ?  I suspect some Mac user would find it just as useful.  And then why
leave Unix users out ?

> (5) In what folder should the "standard" database file be created?

I suspect the problem is knowing where a 'safe' location would be to create a
file.  Could this be added as a variable inside the VFS ?  The VFS for HFS+
would presumably be able to assume you are on a Mac and produce a
Mac-appropriate default pathname.  The VFS used inside an Android phone would,
again, be a good place to do it.

Is that how the path for temporary files (not journal files, but /really/
temporary files) is decided ?

Simon.