On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 10:23 AM, Richard Hipp <d...@sqlite.org> wrote:
> The Problem:
>
> Many new users (especially university students taking a "database 101"

The other features that would make teaching a bit easier would be to support
left join explicitly and support the rfc4180 standard for csv files.

> class) download the "sqlite3.exe" file from the SQLite website,
> double-click on the "sqlite3" icon to get a command-line shell, then start
> typing SQL statements.  But when they exit the shell, they are distressed
> to discover that their database has disappeared.
>
> Proposed Change To Address The Problem:
>
> When launching sqlite3.exe with a double-click, have it open a standard
> database in a standard place instead of an in-memory database as you would
> get when launching sqlite3.exe with no arguments.  Possibly also give
> additional hints, such as references to the ".open" command, when launching
> by double-click.
>
> (1) Detect double-click launch by looking at argc and argv.  On a
> double-click launch, argc==1 and argv[0] contains the full pathname of the
> executable.  On a command-line launch, argv[0] contains whatever the user
> typed, which is usually not the full pathname

I assume that means that if you do not keep sqlite3 on your path then you must
use:

   /path/to/sqlite3 :memory:

to call sqlite3 with an in-memory database. I am not so enthusiastic about this.

How about as an alternative that it works as it does now but when you
exit it asks you
if you want to save the database.  That seems more consistent with how
other programs
(editors, word processors, spreadsheets, etc.) work.

> (2) This change would be for Windows only.  The code to implement it would
> be enclosed in #ifdef _WIN32 ... #endif
>
> (3) Announce the name of the "standard" database file in the banner.
>
> Questions:
>
> (4) What should the name of the "standard" database file be?
>
> (5) In what folder should the "standard" database file be created?

%appdata%\sqilte