On Feb 10, 2014, at 10:15 AM, Richard Hipp <d...@sqlite.org> wrote:

> What if, instead of opening a standard database, the sqlite3.exe
> command-line shell just issued a warning message reminding the user that
> they are working on a transient in-memory database and suggesting the use
> of the ".open" command to connect to a persistent on-disk database.  Like
> in this patch:
>
>     http://www.sqlite.org/src/info/90e9deae4a

I think a warning is the best solution.  In addition to the .open reminder,  I
would add a ".save" shell command that dumps the current main database to a
file.  This might be a simple alias to the .backup command.

  -j

"Intelligence is like underwear: it is important that you have it, but showing
it to the wrong people has the tendency to make them feel uncomfortable." --
Angela Johnson