Ok, I've found the source of the list duplications.

Some emails (Such as the one by J.K. Lowden 2-March-2015 re: Characters
corrupt after importing...) contains a "Reply-To" field in the header
with both list addresses which must have sneaked in there due to some
automatic list feature.  (By "Both" I mean the old:

I usually use the "Reply to List" button (Thunderbird) which replies
correctly, but if you only hit the "Reply to" button then BOTH addresses
are inserted in the "To:" field of the message to be sent - which of
course results in the duplication (Such as the duplicated message from
H. Gunter in reply to the message above).

An astute eye might catch this and remove a reference, but mostly nobody
cares to study the things that should work automatically - and they
shouldn't need to.

May I ask the list admin to see if any mention of the old list email
address in automatic message body generated text still lingers and can
be gotten rid of?

Thank you kindly!
Ryan