Mnyb wrote:
> Ok dns realay is the term :) I have no problem with that functionality I
> use my routers that way .
> Benefit is that you can change dns in one place if needed. The isp's
> I've had and currently have has good dns service ! I don't need to use
> other dns than the ones supplied by my isp . I've tried google dns way
> back with an older router but I did not really found any difference for
> my use cases .
>
> I've also heard that some isp can have shoddy dns service . So it can be
> a real need for some to try out other services .

The issue with DNS relays on cheap domestic routers is that they ARE
cheap domestic routers made with low quality components and the DNS
relay (software) frequently fails. This is an area where you really do
get what you pay for.

Some ISPs do have incredibly poor (slow) DNS servers and IIRC studies
have showed that a slow DNS service is the biggest factor that
influences internet "speed" i.e. it doesn't matter how much bandwidth
you have if you use slow DNS servers you get slow internet.

*Pi3 with piCoreplayer music on QNAP TS419p via NFS*
iThingys/iPeng/Tablets/Jogglers
*Living Room* - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 - > Celestion Ditton F20s
*Office* - Pi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN
755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
*Dining Room* -> SB Boom *Kitchen* -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
*Bedroom (Bedside)* - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones