But when on the same network, why would you use the proxy? Sounds like
solving a problem where thereā€˜s none?
I agree that using a proxy is not the most logical thing in this case. I
use this setup because I want to have the same url scheme for all my web
applications, both those that are available on the internet, and those
that are only available on my internal network. And nowadays browsers
start complaining if a site is not secure while other sites on the same
domain are.

Ok, it might make sense under very specific circumstances. I hope you protect access from the outside with a password or something?

Feel free to provide a patch for the xff header support. I lack the resources to work on this for a valid, but really exotic use case.
--

Michael