Problem is located and fixed. A weird thing.

The clicks between the tracks are only appearing when I listen to MP3
tracks through one of the both digital outputs AND when I have put the
volume lower than 20% on my Sqeezebox 3.
With my new speakers I have changed the volume setting of the amp
resulting in lower volume setting on my SB3.
Solution: I have reduced the volume on the amp and increased the min
volume on SB3 to more than 40%.
The problem seems to be a weakness of the SB3 box. May be because of the
age.
Alternatively I was wondering to always convert the MP3 file to PCM with
LMS. But I didn't like it because then it is not possible to jump to
certain position with the mouse on the web-interface.

All tests avoiding SB3 have not shown any similar issues.
One more reason to start my little project to migrate LMS and
Squeezelite to my newly purchased Raspberry PI, when I do find some
time. I already think that I will miss the remote control.